Chocolate chocolate chip muffins made healthier with whole wheat flour, greek yogurt, no butter or oil, and sweetened with all-natural flavored cane syrup.
You’re in for a real treat with these muffins. Not only are they so yummy, but they’re healthier for you too. Woo-hoo!
They’re super moist and chocolaty yet have no butter or oil them. They’re baked with whole wheat flour, greek yogurt and sweetened with all-natural Simply Cane SHUGA! chocolate truffle syrup. You would never believe they were made healthier if you weren’t the one baking them.
Everybody in our house loves muffins! They’re easy to make and they’re great for breakfasts and snacks throughout the week. Bakerman especially loves muffins as he’s always asking if we can bake some…
It was his lucky day earlier this week because he just happened to be “sick” on the day I was planning to bake these muffins again so I could photograph and share the recipe with y’all. I had made them a few times the week before testing the recipe and he gave me a big happy two thumbs up when I finally got it great. Chocolate muffins are his favorite so I’m glad I’ve now got a healthier recipe up my sleeve for when he requests them.
We were thrilled to try the new line of flavored Simply Cane SHUGA! syrups from Hey SHUGA! (which also offers organic cane, plus cane and stevia liquid sweeteners). I used the Chocolate Truffle flavor in this recipe, but they also have Mocha and Dulce de Leche flavors. They’re so yummy poured over pancakes, mixed in coffee, drizzled over ice cream and baked into all kinds of sweet treats. A great replacement for granulated sugar, artificial sweeteners and other syrups.
These Simply Cane SHUGA! syrups are all-natural, non-GMO and naturally gluten free. They’re made with only two ingredients: cane sugar syrup and natural flavors. The chocolate truffle flavor added the perfect amount of sweetness and extra chocolate flavor to these tasty muffins.
You can find Simply Cane SHUGA! products exclusively at select Walmart stores. Click here for the store locator to see if a Walmart near you carries them.
I hope you bake and enjoy these yummy chocolaty healthier muffins as much as we do! 🙂
And before or after you take that first delicious bite, snap a pic and enter into the #SimplyCaneSummer sweepstakes for your chance to win $1,000 plus one of five $100 Walmart gift cards. Click here for more details about the sweepstakes and be sure to follow Hey SHUGA! on Instagram and Facebook for sweepstakes updates and product info. Best of luck!
This recipe is sponsored by Hey SHUGA! however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat or whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup Simply Cane SHUGA! Chocolate Truffle Syrup
- 1 cup vanilla flavored greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup non-fat milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa. In a medium bowl, whisk together the syrup, yogurt, vanilla, egg and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the larger bowl and stir with a spoon until well combined. Stir in ¾ cup chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, filling each one almost full. Press a few of the remaining chocolate chips into the top of the batter for each muffin.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, rotating muffin pan halfway through baking time, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (If you hit a chocolate chip with the toothpick when testing the muffins, try it in another spot as the chocolate chips will most definitely put melted chocolate on the toothpick.)
- Let muffins rest in pan for 5 minutes before serving or transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.